Winter brings harsh weather and with all that ice, snow and rain, our floors can take a beating.
Following these four guidelines will help keep your floors in great shape all the way through the season.
- Line of Defense #1: Keep walkways and driveways clear of snow, ice and debris. The less there is to track in, the less there will be in the house.
- Line of Defense #2: Invest in a good doormat. A mat with enough friction will remove sand, dirt and salt from guests’ and family members’ shoes. This has the added benefit of keeping your doorways dry and safe.
- Line of Defense #3: Remove shoes. Even better than simply wiping feet is taking off all shoes at the door. A nice basket or bin can keep footwear organized.
- Line of Defense #4: Vacuum and sweep floors regularly. It is unavoidable. Some dirt, salt and sand will inevitably be tracked into the house. Being diligent with cleaning will preserve the floor.
An area rug grounds a room, creates a defined border, and provides for softness underfoot. While the role seems simple, the styling is key.
Large neutral rugs create blank canvases to enhance boldly upholstered pieces of furniture, but the addition of a boldly chosen area rug as a statement piece truly changes a space. Graphic prints, upscale feminine or modern florals, and industrial glam geometrics are perfectly on trend.
Patterns with small scale and repeating colors work well in neutral and otherwise monochromatic spaces where the busy colors shine without detracting from the rest of the décor.
In a neutral space, a daring graphic print works well as the focal point. Experiment with a bold stripe or more subtle ombre style, try a playful chevron, pop some polka dots, or dabble with diverse ethnic styles such as Ikat or Kilim.
One rug creates a boundary for a space, for a different effect try playing with the juxtaposition of two rugs with contrasting colors or dissimilar textures. The layers of colors and texture build interest.
A rug can unify a space, but with a little confidence and courage the rug can become the star.
Our homes serve as our refuge from the world. The busy world continues outside as we arrive home at the end of each hectic day. We cross the threshold, kick off our shoes, and prepare to unwind.
Try these tips for building serenity and calm into your spaces:
- Color definitely affects our mindset. Soothing colors include soft neutrals, verdant greens, calm blues, and pastels. Brighter colors such as purple or yellow can be calming, if they are tempered with a dose of gray.
- Symmetry is calming. Asymmetrical placement of furnishings, light fixtures and art pieces keeps the mind unbalanced and wondering what to expect. Symmetry brings balance and allows for relaxation.
- There is nothing like collapsing into softness at the end of a busy day. Fabrics, rugs, carpets, and pillows add texture and softness to our spaces. Upholstery feels cozy and rugs dampen the sound in a space with hard surface floors.
- Sunny days uplift our spirits, and interior lighting is a factor when it’s time to unwind. Soft lighting, lamps with warm bulbs, and even candlelight help to bring serenity.
Let your home become your retreat from the world.
Everyday, we get to make a statement about who we are with our wardrobe choices. But our home design choices also say something about who we are.
If you want to make a bold statement, have you thought about leather floors? You surely wont be considered ordinary with gorgeous, rich leather flooring in your home!
The very same characteristics that draw you toward your favorite leather jacket, handbag, belt or shoes can be found in leather flooring. Choose from polished, waxed, or raw natural material that will add sophisticated unique texture and flair to your homes décor.
This is also an eco-friendly choice as leather flooring uses recycled products from upholstery, clothing, handbags and more.
There are so many ways to decorate with leather flooring due to its textures, hues and unique visual impact.
You can combine it with anything…use your own personal style and taste to create the space of your dreams using this innovative and durable flooring option!
Image Source: Houzz